For the online launch party of Burning Issue, Myfanwy Alexander wrote a quiz. The winner on the night won a bottle of Montgomery Vineyard wine, and runners up won signed copies of Burning Issue.
You don’t need to have read the book to know the answers, but they are all related to the story and the area in which it takes place.
For those of you who couldn’t make it on Friday 12th June, or who were called away from the computer at a critical moment, the quiz questions are below so you can have a go now, and click the link at the end to find out the answers.
1.Which famous wizard’s birthplace is the HQ of Dyfed Powys Police?
2. Dyfed Powys Police have had extra work due to COVID 19, including stopping tourists from visiting Wales’s highest waterfall. Where is that?
3. Which brand of cereal is said to derive its logo from the suggestion made by a famous Montgomeryshire harpist?
4. Which local saint could be described as the St. Francis of Mid Wales?
5. Where did Queen Victoria’s knickers come from? There’s a bonus for the best related suggestion as to why she wasn’t amused.
6. Dafydd ap Gwilym, the greatest Welsh poet of the Middle Ages, famously asked his squire to pop up to a locally convent to fetch him a novice, any novice, because they were all hot bordering on the smoking. Which convent?
7. Which local folk legends have a name which means plait in Welsh?
8. The local Polish community feature in the book- which town nearby had a Polish hospital for 56 years, closing in 2002?
9. Where is the largest sheep market in Europe?
10. Which mythological inhabitant of Llanfair Caereinion had three drops of the brew of inspiration on his thumb & grew up to become a famous poet? (He shares his name with a character in the book) Bonus point for the name he was given as a poet.